Children’s Specialist 2 (CS2) will continue building on the instructor’s knowledge and skills from the CS1. The course focuses on the specifics of child development for young learners as they progress from the Beginner/Novice through the Advanced Zones. Evaluations of those taking the CS2 course reflect the participants’ knowledge of teaching children, and individuals. Successful completion of the course grants professional recognition to the instructor and industry for their education, experience, and expertise in teaching Children Snowsports. This is a multi-disciplinary course. Course standards and requirements can be found in the PSIA-AASI Children’s Specialist National Standards. In order to attain this certificate, you must complete the following requirements:
– Complete the CS2 Workbook, which must be received by the Division Office at least two weeks prior to your CS2 event.
– Attend and pass the CS2 on-snow event, which will include a graded on-snow teaching segment as well as a graded indoor presentation on an assigned topic.
The following topics are covered in CS2:
– The CAP Model: Applying CAP concepts in a variety of situations (All zones & ages)
– Teaching with Creativity: Applying creative strategies and tactics in a variety of situations (All zones & ages)
– Movement Analysis in Kids: Exploration of the Real & Ideal Movement Spectrum (All zones & ages)
– Peer-to-peer teaching presentations on CS concepts
– Further examination of “The Theorists”: Bloom, Piaget, Maslow, Kohlberg, Kolb, et al.
Participants will be expected to meet the levels of competency defined by the Children’s Specialist 2 (CS2) National Standards. Participants will also be held to the knowledge and performance standards of their current discipline certification level. Because the CS2 is an assessment-based certificate program, to receive the certificate, participants must:
– Receive at least an 80% score on the CS2 Workbook.
– Demonstrate the ability to apply, analyze, synthesize and evaluate CS concepts in a variety of presentation settings.
– Receive a “meets standards” evaluation based on your participation at the CS2 event.
– Receive a “meets standards” evaluation on your on-snow and indoor presentations at the CS2 event.
CS 2 Evaluation (two days): $180
(includes workbook grading fee)